Our chapter (Alpha Omicron) was founded in 1919 in room 216 of Currier Residence Hall. The original members or "founders" of AO were Helen Wyllie, Ida Mae Koontz, Agnes Schwertgerger, Florence Liebbe, Beth Wellman, Lillian Detthof, Chaminade Blackford, Ina Wilvert, Minnie Ehlert, Alice Dragstedt, Helen Williams and Flora Farrior. We were originally called the "Kalo club" (Kalo was an acronym for the characteristics our founders sought out to find in potential members).
Alpha Omicron was officially installed as Zeta Tau Alpha in 1922. We were the 12th Panhellenic sorority founded on University of Iowa's campus!
Our first house was actually originally on Church Street across from the university president's house. This house no longer exists. We currently reside at 815 E Burlington Street in what our members affectionately call "The Zouse." Our chapter structure houses 40 incredible women!